Hams Hall A Power Station

Work began on the building of Hams Hall `A’ Station in 1926. It was the first of the three stations to be built on this site. Hams Hall `A’ was completed and finally commissioned in 1938/9 with a capacity of 240MW

`A’ Station started generating in 1929 with two Fraser Chalmers Turbines driving 30MW GEC  Generators with steam supplied from a steam range by four Babcock & Wilcox Boilers. This event was celebrated with an opening concert on 6th Nov 1929 attended by the Duke & Duchess of York, accompanied by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham.   The station generating capacity was then progressively increased to 240 MWSO in the following nine years.

When completed  Hams Hall `A’ was a magnificent building and one of the largest power stations in Europe. It was the first station to use Pulverised Fuel (PF) fired Boilers, had six Cooling Towers and two 350 foot Chimneys.

Outside of Hams Hall A