Castle Donington – Construction

The Ministry of Power approved the construction of Castle Donington in 1951 and work began almost immediately. The first unit started generating in 1956 and was officially opened in October 1957.  Unit 6 the final generator was completed and started generating in May 1959. All these images have been supplied with thanks to Norris Pickford. 

NORRIS PICKFORD

Norris Pickford

Norris was definitely an unforgettable Donington character.

He worked at Castle Donington as a Shift Maintenance Engineer for nearly the whole life of the station and retired just before closure.

He had an uncanny encyclopaedic memory for events that happened on the plant and the people who worked at the Station from the beginning of his career.  Norris was also a keen local historian and had a huge knowledge of Castle Donington and the surrounding area’s local history.

He also had an amazing sense of humour and never missed the chance to lighten a situation with a funny story or the occasional poster.